Saturday, June 23, 2012

What I'm Reading







This is the latest book I have completed:

The Best of Me

(Sorry, you can't actually "click to look inside" -- you'd have to go to amazon.com to do that!) ;-)


Let me first say that I have been a Nicholas Sparks fan for many years.  Like, oh, maybe 10 years. I have read almost all of his books and one of my personal favorites was "Dear John".  Of his more than 10 books, I would say I have read all but about 2 or 3.

However, I feel like maybe Nick is getting in a bit of a rush these days.

I cannot even tell you how disappointed I was in his latest book, "The Best of Me".

The plot was largely predictable. The characters were not believable or even very interesting and the story line was boring.

I feel like maybe Mr. Sparks has gotten into a bit of a writing funk, but since he is known to crank out a new book every 6 months, or whatever it is, he felt the pressure and just kept writing anyway, even though he probably knew in his own heart that this book was definitely not among his best work.

I kept waiting for the book to get better. To hit it's stride.  Sad to say, it never did.

The plot sounded interesting.  A couple who were lovers back in high school...separated because the girl's parents didn't approve...living apart for 20 years...the girl got married, the guy never did...they reunite to attend the funeral of a mutual and trusted friend...sparks fly...happily ever after...maybe?

But it just all fell flat for me.  I wanted to like it. I really did.  I kept hoping for the book to "spark" my interest.  (Pun intended, ha, ha!)

If I hadn't been reading it for book club, I'm not even sure I would have made it the whole way through.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think maybe Nicholas Sparks had a ghost writer do this book for him.

I have almost nothing good to say about it, so I should probably stop complaining now.  I guess probably the only character that I really enjoyed was the main guy in the story (I already can't remember his name, but I think it started with a D.  Dustin?  Dawson?  Oh, yeah. It was Dawson.)  because his character was kind of mysterious and did some unexpected things.

I'm not saying I wouldn't read Nicolas Sparks next book, but reading this one certainly didn't have me holding my breath for what is to come next from him.


Bottom Line:  I think you probably already gathered this, but I would not recommend this book on any level.


Read This:  Only if you have completely exhausted the rest of your reading options and you are up for some dry and predictable fiction.


1/2 a star on "Audrey's Rating Scale"
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!