Thursday, June 14, 2012

Putting God in a Box

Tuesday night at our community group Bible study we discussed the last part of John 4.

I just keep thinking about part of that discussion and wanted to share it with you.

(Sidenote -- I hate when people use the word "share".  Somehow, I get the idea that they are about to unload a bunch of "concerns" about you that you really don't want to hear. But I can't think of a better word, so "share" it is.)

The story at the end of John 4 is about the royal official whose son was very sick.

This man obviously had a lot of faith in Jesus and was desperate to do whatever it took to save his son, because he walked 15 miles (himself, he didn't send a servant) to find Jesus when he heard that Jesus was going to be in Cana of Galilee.

But, he also had some pre-conceived ideas in his mind about HOW Jesus would heal his son.

He expected that Jesus would have to come to his home to heal his son.

He also apparently didn't understand or believe in the full power of Jesus because he indicated that he wanted Jesus to heal his son before he died.

He didn't understand that death was no match for Jesus' power if He so chose to raise the son from the dead.

We talked about how the royal official put these two limitations on Jesus (that Jesus would have to come to his house to heal his son and that Jesus couldn't raise his son from the dead) and put Jesus in a box, as we SO often tend to do.

But clearly, he was open to seeing things differently because as soon as Jesus said that he was just to go home and that his son would be healed, he turned, without any recorded hesitation or questioning, and headed towards home.

Now THAT is impressive!!

How many times do I put God in a box and limit His power in a situation?  How many times do I have trouble (metaphorically)  "turning around and heading back home" when God asks me to?

Just this week, there was a situation I was involved in where Jeremy and I were talking and I said "Well, I know God can do this and this, but I really don't think He will do this other thing." (Vague, I know, but hopefully you get the point.)

I was reminded of how there I go, limiting God and deciding which issues are within His power to change or to work out.

Oh me of little faith!

How willing am I to change my pre-conconceived notion when God speaks to me otherwise?

How often does my lack of faith and questioning limit what God WOULD be able and willing to do in my life or in the lives of others?

Definitely something for me to think about!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!