Tuesday, August 21, 2012

{Color} Black

I am a big fan of black. 

For one, black clothing is generally slimming.  And that is always a good thing!  I think that I probably own no less than 20 pieces of black clothing. Maybe more.

As you know, our washing machine was broken down for about a week (don't blame Jeremy...he was on top of the situation...he was just waiting for a part).  This led to a discussion with my extended family about how long I could go without doing laundry.  I said that I think I could go three months without doing laundry, given the amount of clothing that I have.

I did have to re-think that, though, because while I may have enough of shirts, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have enough of pants/skirts.  Or underwear.  But the point was...I have a lot of clothing!  Now I am almost curious enough to see how long I actually could go that I would want to try it. But not QUITE curious enough.

Black goes with anything. We've heard that all of our lives, right?  And it really does. It is a basic neutral. 

My "black" day was this past Saturday...the day of the county fair.  I didn't get as many pictures as I would have wanted to, but I will share with you what I have.

My huband (wearing his black sweatshirt) and his buddy Mike.  This was actually Friday night, around the campfire, but I figured it was close enough to mid-night that it could count for Saturday!


Saturday morning I took Derrick to his football practice.  He is doing a 6 or 7 week football program this fall.  I am excited for him!  The colors of the Hayward Hurricanes are black and gold.  This is some of the high-schoolers teaching the little kids about football.


When we got to the fair around 2 PM, they were just starting what they call "Poor Man's Racing".  They have this little race track and all of the cars are old beaters and they race around there. But, unlike a normal race, if a car spins out or gets turned around, they don't throw the caution flag. They just keep on racing. And bumping and banging.  It is actually quite entertaining to watch.  I kind of wonder if they just take their cars directly to the scrap pile when they are done, because some of them look completely unrepairable. To me, at least.  Here is a black beater of some sort.  Getting ready to start the race.


We were at the fair for almost 8 hours.  Because, if you are going to pay $13 each for 5 family members to get into the fair, then you better make it worth your while. At least to my way of thinking.  It rained 3 different times during those 8 hours.  During one of the heavier rains, Kendall and Nikki and I spent quite a bit of time walking around in the animal barns and checking out the exhibits.

Here are some black cows.  I wanted the kids to touch a cow, but they weren't up for it. Kendall thought they would kick him.  I thought that was highly unlikely if they were lying down, but whatever. I didn't push the issue.


A black and white sow with her little piggies, including the little black runt of the littler.  He was climbing over the others just to get some milk.  Those little pigs were so cute! Seriously.  Plus, having grown up on a pig farm, I am kind of nostalgic about pigs.  << Now, that was an awkward sentence if I ever saw one.


My sister Debbie was at the fair with her two little girls.  I noticed Sherra's cute little black skirt and thought I would take a picture.  That baby Jenna just smiles and smiles and smiles. Even when no one is smiling back at her!  Debbie must be such a great Mom that her kids can't help but smile.  That's my theory, anyway. I told her that she always makes mothering look so easy.  Especially compared to her older sister. (me)


Kendall, for all of his otherwise dare-devil ways, is kind of a chicken when it comes to do carnival rides.  Here he is, riding the carousel (on a black and red horse that he choose to ride) with Nikki. Afterwards, he reported that this ride was VERY boring!  Ya think??


And my last, but certainly not least, "black" picture is of this (name unknown) lady.  She was wearing mostly black, but what captured my attention was her hair-do. I don't know how well you can see it on here, but it was an elaborate bee-hive/bun/poufy sort of up-do.  Nothing against her, but I am pretty sure that hair-style is from the eighties. Or before.  I kind of wanted her to just stand there so I could stare for a while and try to figure out just exactly how she got it to stay up like that. Lots of hair pins is what I am thinking.



And...I know these pictures are not black.  They are most decidedly in the brown category. But I just wanted to show you what I wore to the fair.

My new cowboy hat and some cowboy boots that I found at Ragstock for $20.00.  Ever since I was a teenager and visited Guymon, Oklahoma and Perryton, TX with my Dad, I have LOVED the west and especially loved the whole cowboy/cowgirl look.  I often feel like I should live out west, but I am stuck here in Northern WI.  Where it is cold. And where nobody wears cowboy gear.  ;-( 

Anyway, I decided "Enough with that!"  I am going to wear my cowgirl stuff to the county fair, even if I am out of place.  And boy, was I ever. I think I was the ONLY woman there who wore a cowboy hat. I ran into a guy from my softball team and he said to me "Hey, I didn't know you had a little bit of redneck in you!!"  I didn't say it, but I was thinking "Dude! This isn't redneck.  This is cowgirl. You want to see redneck, you just walk around with me a little and I'll show you redneck!"

Jeremy looked at me and said "I would have never dreamt I would see you wearing that outfit."  The kids declared that they were not going to walk around with me if I dressed like a cowgirl, but if they thought that would deter me, they were wrong.  Plus, they didn't follow through on their threat anyway!

We had a good day at the fair, despite the rain, and I was glad we went. 

(I could write about carnival workers for another few paragraphs, but I think you all probably already have your thoughts about them, so you can just think those thoughts and we'll call it good!)

Gotta run...Firewood to deliver.

Tomorrow's color:  Purple  (One of my fav's)
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!