Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mama, Mama, Morning Drama...

Those simple pleasures in life...like finding a quarter in the washing machine or making an awesome salad for lunch or getting to sit down and read for a long awaited 30 minutes...they make our world's go 'round.

It is the little things that make up the days and keep us feeling excited about life!

But sometimes...our expectations come crashing down around us.  And one of our little moments in stolen away from us.  Just.like.that.

One of my best friends recently "accused" me of being dramatic.  This was a very hard pill for me to swallow, and, as a matter of fact, that particular pill may still be stuck in my throat.

Me?  Dramatic?  Intense. Maybe.  Strong-willed. Sure.  Opionated.  I guess so.  But dramatic?  I'm not exactly liking the connotations that brings up in my mind.

So, let me share this little story with you and I guess I will leave it up to you to decide whether I am dramatic or not. 

I need to back-track a few days to Monday afternoon.  I decided to bake something different than my normal "brownies-from-a-box-with-boughten-frosting-and-sprinkles-on-top" for our Bible study gathering on Tuesday night.

I had a carefully formulated and well thought out plan.  You see, there are these brownies/bars that I make that are my absolute favorite!!  They have a really long title, something like "Delicious Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars."

And since I have discovered them about a year ago, I have made them many, many times and I think I can pretty much recite the recipe from heart.

1 cup of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
1 T. vanilla
(Mix all of these together)

Add 1  1/4 cup peanut butter

Mix in 2 eggs.

Add:

2 cups of flour
2 cups of oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda

Then put in 1 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips.

Pour batter into a greased 9 X 13 pan and
Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 or until the edges are slightly golden brown.

(Yes, I just wrote that all down from memory, but now I will double check in case I made any mistakes. Nope. I got it right!)

These are the BEST bars.  They are chewy and kind of "heavy" but oh.so.yummy!  And they go PERFECTLY with my morning coffee.

My carefully formulated and well thought out plan was this:  I could make the bars for Bible study.  They probably wouldn't all get eaten.  I would have left-overs, but not have the whole pan there for me to eat too much of, you know. 

It worked out great! I took them to Bible study Tuesday night. About 3/4 of them got eaten. I brought the rest home.  I had one with my coffee yesterday morning. 

There were 2 left in the pan, I noted.  Yay! 

I got up this morning, got dressed and padded out to the kitchen to get my morning coffee going and to check up on the bars.

There was the pan. Right where I had left it.

But when I took a closer look to confirm that, yes, there was still at least one bar left (in case Jeremy had eaten one this morning), I literally gasped out loud.  BOTH bars were gone. The pan was empty except for a few measly crumbs scattered about!

What???!!  How could this be?  I was SO looking forward to a "Delicious Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bar" with my morning coffee!

I went through the first four stages of grief in about 30 seconds.

First, denial.  This can't be! Check the pan again. Yes. It is still empty. 

Secondly, anger.  How could Jeremy do this to me?  Doesn't he know how much I love those bars?  And to take TWO of them!!  I texted him in regards to my disappointment and sadness.

Third, bargaining.  Could I possibly make a pan of bars, bake them immediately, and still have one ready in time for my morning coffee?  Probably not gonna happen with the time I have available.

Fourthly, depression.   How did my morning just get ruined like this?  Will my day even be worthwhile?  Should I just crawl back into bed?  Is life really worth living with no brownie with my coffee?

And finally...acceptance.  Actually, it is 10:30 AM and I am still working on that one. 

You see, sometimes those you love can inflict the greatest pain.  Whoever said that must have had their husband take the last brownie too!


**added drama for effect.  But seriously. I was upset!
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. wondering if this site will let me comment now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. for awhile i couldn't comment here. it was weird.

    anyway. with all of the talk that i read recently on "moving," i wanted to see how your comment box was working again. :)

    i'm laughing...funny story. or rather...funny story teller. that's it. i think it's the story teller. my expectations with my morning coffee are not that flexible. haha.

    being "accused" of being dramatic would not be fun for me. i'd die. jk. but having a close friend say it in a positive way could make me feel known...and loved. all in how they say it and why. ya know?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!