Thursday, October 11, 2012

RWOTD {Character}


I heard this definition of character a long time ago and I think it is a really good one.

Because when no one is looking and especially when you think no one will find out, the temptation to make a bad choice is a lot greater.  What keeps us on track and helps us to make the right choice?  Character.  That which is truly inside of us comes out when we are in a situation where we think we can "get away with" something. (I realize you don't truly get away with something...God always sees, but you know what I mean.)

I certainly cannot claim that I have always done a good job of this.  Nor that I always get it right now-a-days.

The word of the day and this quote just reminded me of a discussion with friends and then a story from this past summer.

I usually am a pretty black and white thinker and often, when given a possible scenario, I know what I think about it and how I would respond.  This can be a blessing and a curse.

One day, some friends and I got to talking about what happens if you find money lying around. Is it right to keep it?  Should you turn it in somewhere?  Do you assume it is an unexpected gift from God?

I have had a very strict policy about this, because, in my mind, its not mine.  Taking the money would be stealing.  I have always taught our children the same thing.  Even if the rightful owner never does come back and find it, it doesn't belong to me!  Even if the next person WILL pick it up and I will miss out on the money, that is also not my problem. My conscience is clear.

I found that what, to me, seems very black and white, is quite a grey area for pretty much everyone else I talked to.  Including my husband. Everyone had their different nuances and stipulations for whether they would pick up the money or not.

I was sticking to my guns, though.

Fast forward a week or two and we were camping at the local KOA campground.  Our kids were riding their bikes around and exploring the campground.  All of a sudden, Kendall comes back to our campsite and he was all excited! He had found a $20 bill lying on the ground outside of the office.

"Can I keep it? Can I keep it?", he asked excitedly.

He took it like a little man when I told him that, no, he couldn't keep it.  At least not until we gave the rightful owner a chance to claim it.

He went with me to the office where we explained to the lady behind the counter that he had found this money, but that we didn't want to keep it if someone else was looking for it.  She put it behind the counter with Kendall's name on it and we told her that we would check back the following morning before we left. If no one had come looking for the money, then Kendall could have it.

I fully expected it to be there when we got there the next morning, but I figured Kendall would be learning a lesson in the process.

Well, the next morning we headed to the office before we left, and when we inquired about the $20 that Kendall had turned in the day before, they told us that someone had, in fact, come to claim it. It was a young girl who was SOO happy to learn that someone had found that $20 she had lost and brought it to the office. The super cool thing was, she left $5 of it for Kendall and a gift (one of those duct tape wallets) and a note telling him "Thank You!"  Also, her brother (he was maybe 10 or so) was there in the office at the time and when he heard us talking he said to Kendall "Hey, are you the guy who found my sister's money?" and when he learned that Kendall was, in fact, the one, he shook his hand like a man and told him "Thank you" and said how nice that was of Kendall.

I like to think that this story will stick with Kendall for the rest of his life.  And the good feeling that you get from doing what you know is right is worth more than money!

Now, knowing all of this backstory, let me tell you another little story.

A few weeks ago we were at a "Savers" thrift store.  I was looking through the used books, including a nice Bible that I was thinking about buying.

As I was paging through, I saw a folded, handwritten note tucked in the Bible.  It said "Meghan" on the outside and there were a bunch of doodles around her name. Being the curious person that I am, I opened it up.

It was the sweetest little love note from a guy named "Hans T" to Meghan.  He talked about how he really cared about her as a friend and thought a lot of her and how he could see the light of Jesus shining through her. And then he signed it "Love always..."

I wondered if they ever dated or gotten married?  I wondered how old they were? Where they were from? What was the rest of the story of their relationship?

I am very fascinated by this sort of thing and so I thought about it for a bit, and then I took that little note out of the Bible (I didn't buy the Bible) and I stuck it in my coat pocket. To take home with me.  If this is weird, then so be it.  I don't mind being a bit quirky.

I have no idea what I plan to do with this note, but I am thinking of starting a collection of notes and letters I find in old books, because I buy a lot of used and old books.

Anyway, when I was telling Jeremy about all of this, he said "How could you feel right about taking that note? That doesn't belong to you!!"

He was TOTALLY ribbing me about the way he knows I feel about picking up money that doesn't belong to me.

I got a very sheepish look on my face and then when he added "What if they come back looking for that note?" I hardly knew what to say.

He was using the very words that I had said about the money...laughing at me all the while.

I felt kind of guilty.  But in my mind, its not the same.  I guess that this is where my grey area comes in.  And my inconsistency!

My character might be called into question now, because while I would never take money that doesn't belong to me, it appears that I am willing to steal sentimental notes written to Meghan.

I'm curious what others think about all of this.  What would you do in either situation?
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!