Tuesday, October 23, 2012

RWOTD {Appropriate}

I use this word all the time with my kids.  I looked up what it means and the dictionary says "fitting" or "proper for a particular situation", etc.

I will be heard saying things like "Nikki. That skirt is not appropriate for this cold weather."

or "Derrick. Do you really feel like kicking your brother was an appropriate response to the situation?"

I must use the word quite a lot, because before Nikki was even five and could barely say the word correctly, you could hear her going on about how the way someone acted just wasn't "appropriate".

I know that every person and every household has things that they consider to be apprpriate. or not.

In a lot of these things, it doesn't mean that one person or family is right and another is wrong, it is often just personal preference and what might be "fitting" for one person or in one family is not in another. 

I thought it might be fun to make a list of things that are considered appropriate in the Miller household:

**Starting to eat before we say our prayer of thanks.  I don't know exactly how this happened along the way, but now we do this thing where we sit down, start eating, and then whoever remembers and says "PRAY" is the person who gets to pick who prays that night.  Yeah. Maybe we should work on that.

**Light Swearing.  We don't bat an eye at words like ass or crap or dang, even from the kids.  But you use God's name in vain or call your Mom "woman" (this happened recently), you WILL see a reaction.

**Jumping/climbing on furniture or counters.  I especially do not have a problem with this. Jeremy does a little more. The only exception:  our sectional couch in the living room. 

**Only brushing your teeth once a day.  I seriously CANNOT get myself or my kids into the habit of brushing twice a day.  I know, I know.

**Unnecessary roughness.  Hey, we've got two boys. And they have to get rid of their aggression somehow.  Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. And then the fun and games stop.

**Questioning Mom and Dad about something.  Its totally fine. We're up for the discussion. But we are not talking about mouthing off or sassing or being disrespectful.  You'll know when you've crossed the line because you'll get "the look."

**Getting in a slippery sleeping bag and then bumping down the stairs.  Its great fun!  And hey, if you want to double or triple up in said sleeping bag, go for it.

**Looking at/reading books at bedtime. Not only is it appropriate, it is almost mandatory.  Just don't leave your light on too long or Mom and Dad might come to see why you're still up.

**Slightly inappropriate comments or jokes.  Yes, they're apparently appropriate. In fact, often Dad will laugh the loudest while Mom looks at him with eyes that say "I cannot.even.believe. you just laughed at that!!"

**Using Mom's I-phone.  Its best if you ask first though.

**Doing stunts and tricks and trying crazy things -- especially if your name is Kendall -- seems to be just fine.  Including the most recent...using a large ladder and climbing up on the roof of the pole shed. (I am hoping Gramma Betty isn't reading this!  But if she is...it was your son who gave him persmission

**Riding the dog like you are a cowboy and he is a bucking bull.  You won't last long on his back anyway. He's too smart for that.

**Changing clothes more than once a day.  Especially if your name is Nikki. Just remember: You generally have to fold and put away your own laundry.  So, to quote my kids "Burn!!"

**Or, conversely, sleeping in the clothing you wore all day long.  Happens way too often. I gave up that battle quite a long time ago.

**Eating in the living room.  If it is something that is not too crumbly or messy.



And then, maybe a list of things that are not considered appropriate at the Miller's.

**Walking around in your underwear.  Even if you are a boy.  Sorry. We just don't need to see that much of you. At least put some pants on.  (However, streaking does occassionally occur.)

**Burping.  At the table or not at the table.  I do not tolerate burping!!

**Fake crying.  This one mostly applies to Nikki at this point and she will generally get sent to her room if fake crying goes on for too long.

**Yelling or screaming.  Go outside if you're going to try to pull that crap.

**Taking food without asking.  Around our house, you don't get any food without checking with Mom first.

**Playing (or doing anything else) before you do your homework.  Absolutely not!!

**Saying things like "I won't be your friend if you do (or don't do) this or that."  Or other similar threats that are empty and meaningless and just wrong.

**Complaining about what I make for supper.  Oh.no, you did-n't!!  That'll get you in trouble fast.

**Making fun of others when they get in trouble. Or saying things like "Yeah, Kendall!" when I reprimand a certain child.  Watch that situation turn on you. And quite quickly.

**Name calling.  Nope. Not ok.


I am always interested in the differences in various households. What flies in one would be an absolute no-no in another.

Anyway, there's a little peak into our (however strange) little world!  I hope you enjoyed it.

Now, you can go ahead and leave an appopriate comment!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!