Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Recent Happenings & Thoughts

Someone has been begging and begging to get her ears pierced.

Jeremy and I had never talked about the age that we felt it was appropriate for a girl to get her ears pierced, but since neither of us saw any reason for 5 not being the perfect age...

...I surprised her the other day and took her to Claire's to get her ears pierced.

She still can't say her "r's", so I guess I actually took her to get her "eaws piewced". 

Sitting in the chair waiting.  SUPER excited!


This is Nikki's very nervous, scared look.  Just before they put the earrings in.

She told me later that she just kept thinking to herself "Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry."  And she didn't.


And...we're all done.  She picked out some cute little "Hello Kitty" earrings.  She'll need to leave those in for 6 - 8 weeks, but still, we walked around Claire's and picked out a pair for when she can switch these out.

I think she's going to like dangly earrings, just like her Mama. 

Did you know that when you get your ears pierced at Claire's, they then give you a coupon for 50% off of anything in the store? I thought that was pretty awesome!

I picked out a ring, Nikki got some silver nail polish, and I got some black and silver hoop earrings and some nail polish.  All for 50% off.  Holla!!!

And then we went to the toy store for a while (just to look) and went and got ice cream.

It was a good date with my girlie!

**********************************************************

I am a 34 year old grown woman with three children.  Yet, a week or so ago, I asked my Mom if she would wash the windows of my house for me as a birthday present.  Yes, I asked her.

Not without shame or guilt, but my hatred of window washing over-rode those previously mentioned emotions.

I knew she would say yes, because she has done it for me before.  But always of her own will, not upon request.

She told me that she will come and do it on the next sunny day when she has time, and yesterday afternoon, when I had all of my bookwork done for the day, supper planned, and plans to read and relax in my quiet house, I found myself badly hoping that this would not be the (quite sunny) afternoon she chose to come and clean my windows. 

Because if she cleans them while I am gone, I feel less guilty than if I am there.  And if she would be cleaning them while I sat in my blue chair and read???? That would probably be too much for even me and I would have to go out and offer to help.

And that...I did not want to do.

She didn't show up and the problem was solved.  But I found myself amazed and appalled at my lack of maturity.  I am a 34 year old grown woman with three children.  And yet I cannot bear to spend 3 or 4 hours cleaning my windows.

Where did I go wrong?

*************************************************************
I felt like this happening needed documentation, because this is probably the neatest and cleanest you will EVER see our closet.



Jeremy and I share a closet. I wouldn't say it is exactly 50/50, but I won't tell you whose stuff takes up more space. ;-)  These pictures are just of my half (the term "half" being used loosely here) of the closet.

We have been saying for a while that we have got.to.clean.that.closet and inspiration struck the other night and within a couple of hours, it was looking much, much better.

I didn't take any before pictures because, yes, I do have some level of self-respect left. 

I could imagine some of you looking at my after pictures and wondering if they are actually my before pictures!!

I have never been accused of being a minimalist. 

But I did decide that I am going to majorly empty out the clothing in my closet and see how I do with that. If I can actually see the pieces that I own, might I be able to be more creative with how I put outfits together?

So, that first picture you see...that is what is left hanging in my closet.  It is probably the least clothing I have had in my closet for close to 10 years.  I know. I know.  I have issues.

The picture below is all of the additional stuff that WAS hanging in my closet before I did the cleaning.  It now resides in the hall closet for the time being.



What can I say?  Whose got two thumbs and likes to shop???   This girl!! (Picture me pointing both of those thumbs emphatically at myself)

**************************************************

I used to be bored a lot.  Not bored enough to wash my windows of course, but just bored in general.

When I was a new Mom and was home part time with my one child, I remember being bored a lot.  I would complain about it frequently and try to figure out solutions to not being bored.

A conversation with friends the other day about boredom reminded me that it has been YEARS since I have uttered those words.

Somewhere along the way, between the three kids and work and friends and husband and my insatiable desire to read...I never ever find myself bored anymore.

I imagine that I should feel grateful for this.

I think maybe I do.

*****************************************************

Jeremy and I are planning a weekend away soon.  We usually try to go away once for our anniversary (in February) and then in the fall.

This year we are running a little bit late.

We were discussing possible things to do and I (quite fairly, I might say) accused Jeremy of having a narrow list of interests.

I tried to get him excited about going to the "Spinning Top Museum" in Burlington, Wisconsin.  It is where they have all kinds of toy tops on display and other cool toys, etc.  He wasn't buying.

I told him how easy I am to please and how I would love to tour the "Spinning Top" museum.   He then made a comment that I can't write on here, there was some laughter, and the subject was dropped.

Almost everything I suggest to him (OK, the Top Museum was meant as a bit of joke) he is kind of like "Nah" about.

What seems to happen is that we always end up going to one of two larger towns around here, we get a hotel, we sleep in, and then we're like "Well, what shall we do?" and since we have no plan, we end up going shopping. Which Jeremy doesn't enjoy either. Sometimes he naps in the vehicle while I shop. Romantic, huh?

This year, I have decided it is going to be different. We are not going to settle for eating out and shopping/sleeping.

I am doing research and I am planning!!  We are going to a different city and I am finding things that Jeremy would love to do!

Hopefully, it will be a weekend to remember!!

*******************************************************

I am reading a book right now called 'Tripping the Prom Queen."  It is about women and rivalries and jealousy, etc.

The book is shocking me.  If half of the stuff is true (pretty sure it is, since the author interviewed many women and quotes them verbatim throughout the book) about the way that women's minds work and how jealous and competitive they can be...it is no wonder that there are lots of catfights and drama among women.

What is the solution to all of this?

I think it lies in being confident in who we are in God's eyes and knowing that we are never going to be the best at everything...and that's ok. 

And also learning to be genuinely happy for our friends when good things happen to them.  Because don't we want them to be happy for us when good things happen in our lives?

I am thankful to say that I have many friends who do not fit the description that this book presents, but it has raised some questions in my mind.

I want to be aware in friendships but I never want to be paranoid of other people or the kind of person who is always looking for the hidden meaning.
******************************************************
And that's a wrap on "Recent Happenings and Thoughts".

Happy Tuesday to you all!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!