Monday, July 2, 2012

What I'm Reading





This book has taken me a long time to get through. I'll admit it.  So I cannot sell you on the fact that it is a complete page-turner.

I probably started reading it at least a month ago.  And I am just now about to finish it.

I have been known to simply give up on books.  I value my reading time too highly to feel like I am wasting it on a book that I am not enjoying enough.

But...something kept me hanging on and there was enough of interest that I wanted to finish this book.

I think that the main reason I was intrigued was because of the style of writing. 

Best Friends

This is the book.  ^^   I most likely picked it up at a garage sale. When and where? I have not a club.

By a certain "Martha Moody".

I guess you know what it would be like to live with her, right?

If she was extra grouchy and you called her out on it, all she'd have to say is "Well, just livin' up to my name!"


The book traces the lives and relationship of two girls (roommates) from their college days until they are in their early forties.  One girl is from California, the other is from Ohio.  They don't like each other immediately, but over time they develop a special and unique bond that lasts over many, many years.

The author does a good job of keeping the story about the story (what I mean is...their friendship stays the main focus of the book, even though many other details play into the story).

The characters are interesting in a strange sort of way.  There is some of the brilliance and poignancy about relationships that I love to find scattered throughout books.  Its like free advice when you thought you were just reading a novel.

But...the most unusual thing about her writing style is that she forewarns you of things coming up in the book. Major things. Where other authors would always try to keep the suspense up, she will often let you know what is happening long before you get to that actual part of the story in the book.

For instance, you'll just be reading along, and then she'll say something like "But that was all before Ben died."

And I'm all like "What??? Ben dies??"  But I sort of feel grateful to the writer for giving me a little time to adjust to the idea before I actually get to the story of how it happens.

She does that all through out the book and I found it very odd but strangely endearing.  As is her attention to interesting and unique details.

A lot of crazy stuff happens in the book, so if you read it, just be prepared.  I don't want to give away too much, but there are deaths, more than one affair, heroin abuse, a very questionable business, and the such like.

But, like I said, the focus of the book is always on the friendship between Sally and Clare.  They are very honest with each other, yet they also keep some big secrets from each other...at least for a time. 


Bottom Line:  This book makes you think.  It is intrigueing and interesting.  The characters are colorful. The writing style is different in a cool way.  The storyline is unpredictable. 


Read This:  If you don't mind tragedy and loss in a story.  If you've ever had close girlfriends.  If you are willing to broaden your mind a bit beyond the normal and predictable. If you don't mind a little shock factor.

**** stars on "Audrey's Rating Scale"
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!