Friday, July 13, 2012

More Small Talk & Why I Love to Garage Sale

Since I wrote that post about small talk, I have been thinking and re-thinking the subject.

A lot.

As I have interacted with people in the past couple of days, I thought about whether my interactions and my level of enjoyment in the small talk was in agreement with what I blogged about.

And I feel like I need to make a correction:

I don't hate small talk.

I hate small talk with certain people. And also with people who I should have long moved on to something else with.

There. Now I got that clarification down on paper.

                             *************************************************************

This morning the kids and I headed out to hit a few garage sales.

I love to garage sale!! (Understatement alert)

It is one of the simple pleasures of my life.

I think part of it is because you never know what you might find and it is always so cool to get something you really wanted for a cheap price.  Knowing that amount of money that you WOULD have spent on something...ah, its like a breath of fresh air.

OK, before I get all poetic, let me show you a little more about WHY I like to garage sale.

The kids and I went to 5 garage sales today.  Honestly, the others were a bust.

Other than Kendall being given a "Sorry" game by a lady, me buying 2 books for Derrick, getting a softball and an old Scrabble game, we hadn't had much luck.

Then...we hit the 5th and final sale.

And then we scored.  Big time.

First of all, I have been looking for a good pair of Rollerblades.

Wah-la!!

For a dollar. Yeah, you heard me right.  A dollar.


We also got....

A bunch of winter hats and gloves

A butterfly wall hanger thingy for Nikki's room

An air popper and some Tupperware containers

4 tops for me and a pair of yoga pants and flannel pj pants (one of the tops didn't end up fitting me)

A hat that needed its own picture, because it is supposed to look like a chicken. Guess which kid picked this out?

A dress and a sweatshirt for Nikki

Sunglasses for Nicole and one of those annoying little Zhu Zhu pet guys


This Tinkerbell kitchen with that whole box of accessories


And, my happiest find of the day, "The Little Engine That Could" book.  Full version.
I LOVE to find books that I had as a kid and read them to my kids.

Love, love it!

Remember that part that they kept repeating in the book about how, if they couldn't find an engine, then "all of the good little boys and girls on the other side of the mountain wouldn't have any toys to play with or good food to eat?"



Also found this book with all kinds of Mother Goose rhymes in it.


And here's the thing:  Guess how much I paid for ALL of that ^^^^^

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

$28

Yup.  I was pretty darn happy about that!

I also saw these really cool things for your yard or garden made out of old cups and saucers, etc. I thought they were super creative.

I didn't buy any though.


And, I almost bought this book (published in 1981) that had all kind of patterns of things to make for your baby to wear.

It was SOOO early '80's stuff that I just had to take some pictures. 




Pretty interesting how styles change, isn't it?

And WHEN did those Mother's have to time to crochet all that stuff?

Anyway, after that I went to Wal-mart and spent $115 on basically nothing that will last more than a week. (Food, mostly)

Kind of makes me pissy.

Maybe the garage sale finds can balance out the Wal-mart trip.

Not that I would want to eat books and Rollerblades and winter hats...but still!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I'm now not certain where you are getting your information, however good topic. I needs to spend some time studying much more or figuring out more. Thanks for fantastic information I used to be in search of this info for my mission.

    Here is my website :: outdoor furniture san diego

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!