Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Branded

Maybe you happen to recall the story in the Gospel of John about the man who was born blind.

Its one of the many miracles that Jesus performed during his time here on earth.

But like all of Jesus' miracles, then and now, there is something profoundly special about it.

I was reading this story a week or two ago and something struck me as never before.

What does Jesus say at the beginning of the story when the disciples asked Him "who had sinned that this man was born blind?"

He answers "NO ONE sinned.  But this man was born blind that MY glory might be revealed in Him."  Truth spoken from the mouth of the Son of God.

But, as you read through the story and get to the end of it...where the man (born blind) had been healed and had now been called in to talk with the religious leaders (for a second time)...you see how people's truths about us can differ from God's truth.

As the man testifies as to what Jesus had done for him, and even begins to get a bit frustrated and challenge the religious leaders, what accusation do they throw at him?

With derision in their voices, they cry "Oh, what do you know? You were steeped in sin from your birth!!!"

Ouch.  Burn.

Jesus' truth:  This man was born blind so that HIS glory could be revealed in him.

Other's truth:  You sinned, or you parents sinned, and that is why you were born blind.


Which will the blind man believe?

Do you think that the next time somebody asked him to testify about what Jesus had done, he did so with a little more hesitation?  A little fear of someone throwing his past in his face?  Do you think a little part of him was swayed by people's perception of him?

I hope not.  We will never know.

But I realized as I read this story...its an age old struggle.  The decision whether to believe God's truth about us or to buy into the labels that the devil and other people want to brand upon us.


Alcoholic

Liar

Insecure

Always strong -- If I show weakness...how will those around me respond?

Sexually abused

Never good enough -- Always falling short of expectation

Sizzle.  Burn.

The hiss of the serpents lies may as well be the hiss of a branding iron.

It cuts straight to the heart.  It leaves a mark on our souls.


Unwanted and unlovable.

Cheater -- Branded with the scarlet letter.

The good girl -- Its not OK to admit your struggles

Always poor.

Divorced.

Sizzle.  Burn.


I remember the day that I was driving alone and God spoke to me.  It wasn't an audible voice, but it may as well have been, for all of the clarity and force with which it hit me.

I was struggling to forgive myself.  Others were struggling too. Maybe more so.

I felt like I needed to hold on to the unforgiveness.  To make myself pay for wrongs committed.

Jesus spoke to me through the fog of my self-doubt and self-beration and said this "When you don't accept my forgiveness, you are hurting me.  Deeply.  You are saying that what I did on the cross might be enough for others and their sins, but it isn't enough for yours.  You hurt me when you don't accept my grace and forgiveness as sufficient for YOU."

It was a turning point for me.  Realizing that my rejection of God's provision was like a slap in His face.

Does that mean that the struggle was over? 

Definitely not.

I've had to claim and re-claim that truth over the years.

But, honestly, where I find myself still struggling the most is when it comes to other people.

It reminds me of that old Colin Raye (country) song that says "Jesus will forgive...but a Daddy don't forget."

People don't forget.

They brand you.

Sizzle. Hiss.  Burn.

Way too often, we define others by their past.  Maybe even adding that tid-bit to a conversation about a person that others are just getting to know.

"Well, you know...she IS on her second marriage."  Or "Yeah, she's always struggled with insecurity...more than most."

We want to share our stories, but they are shrouded in shame and guilt.  Its hard to see through the fog of other's perceptions and our own insecurities to be able to live openly and with truthfulness. 

What if people think differently of me?

What if I am branded for life?

Is it OK that I am broken and have holes in my soul?  Can you still accept me?

When I struggle with these questions, I wonder how far I have to yet go in understanding the forgiveness of God??  People's opinions of me aren't what matter.  But that doesn't mean that I am super human.

That I'm not hurt by the references to the past or the fleeting look in the eyes of a friend who now thinks less of me, try as the might to hide it.

God's grace COVERS.

Covers.

All.

Who knows what His purpose was for allowing the story of our past?

Chances are, it is to bring glory to Him.  Some way.  Somehow.  Even though I don't understand it.  Through our brokenness and our willingness to share our story, His spirit can move.

Do I claim His truth?

Or do I allow the lies of the serpent and the hiss of his branding iron to sear my soul forever? 

As I am realizing about a lot of things in life:

It is a choice.  My choice. 

And yours.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!