Saturday, May 26, 2012

What We Wore...




On Thursday we had rain of epic porportions.  According to my Mom and their trusty rain guage, we got 2 1/2 inches of rain in one day.  We talked with the kids about the flood of Noah's Day and we imagined what it might be like if it rained for 40 days and 40 nights like it did today.

Kendall had ideas for how he would escape the flood once it covered our house roof.  He wondered why he couldn't just swim?

(And swim and swim and swim, without food.  For, like, months. Yup, can't see why that wouldn't work out, buddy!)

After school Kendall wondered if he could go outside if he put on his rubber boots and grabbed my umbrella. 

I granted permission, although I had not said anything about figuring out a way to turn the umbrella inside out so that it was a "rain catcher."  Nope. That one he thought of all.by.himself.  Smart boy, that one!  We're thinking Harvard.





Yesterday...Nicole changed into this "short dress" before we were ready to leave for town.  I was still wearing something resembling workout/yoga pants and a t-shirt and she thought it wasn't fair that I could wear that.

I assured her that I was going to be changing my clothing and she wondered if "I could wear a short dress too?"  We decided to dub this Friday as "short dress day."  Although I am not certainly that everyone else in our town got the memo.

As much as she says she doesn't like me sometimes and wishes I wasn't her Mom...she sure likes when we dress alike. She is always making comments about how we are "both wearing blue" or "I have white shoes just like you, Mom" or "Wow! We both look like crap today."  (I may or may not have fabricated that last one.)

So, being the obliging Mother that I am...

(Do not fail to notice her nail polish. I just painted her toenails and she is showing them off to everybody these days.)

...I put on a "short dress".  With capri tights. And a black shrug.

When she saw I was wearing a shrug, she went to her room and guess what?  She came back with a little sweater on.  Which, I must say, I thought went quite nicely with her dress.  I was impressed.  We see "Project Runway" in her future. 


This dress is very special to me because it was given to me by a dear friend!  Whenever I wear it, I think of her and I feel all warm and fuzzy.  Thank you, Lisa!

You know how people always write where they got their clothing?  I honestly have NO idea how they remember where they purchased a particular piece of clothing!

My line-up would look something like this:

Dress (gifted from my friend Lisa), Shoes (no clue), belt (did I even buy that?), shrug (my friend Morgan's thrift store), Necklace (no idea), Earrings (somewhere cheap), and tights (a store on Amazon). 

Maybe I am in some sort of a memory-loss-momentary-high-clothing-purchasing-induced state or maybe I just buy WAY too much stuff, but most of what I own I am pretty sure just saw me at the store, thought it would look good on me, followed me home and hung itself in my closet. (Not in a suicidal way)

My 4 year old photographer apparently needs some training on "how not to make the photo blurry" but after 3 tries, I gave up. 

I will admit, we were a TAD over-dressed for our Wal-Mart and auto parts store run, but I told Nikki that maybe people will think we were going to a wedding afterwards.

Yeah, right.  At lunchtime on a Friday!?

Whatever. It could happen.

My 4 year old believed me.

And that's all that matters.

(We did garner some looks/stares and we also did get a compliment from the man at the auto parts store.  He said that we looked really pretty.  I chose to focus the compliment on Nikki, because otherwise, that would have just been awkward. 

He asked Nikki if he boyfriend told her she looked pretty and when she giggled and said she didn't have one, he said "Good. Because you can't have a boyfriend till you're 40."  She countered with "No, when I'm 10" so I figure if we end up somewhere in the middle of those two numbers, we'll be doing fine.)
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. when she's TEN?!!! so soon? says the mom of an 11 year old already. :)

    i have somebody that would do that with an umbrella... and probably has!

    you outfits are fun! i love clothes! and shoes and...! but i often remember what i paid and where. which is why i don't remember important stuff...that space in my brain is already occupied!

    btw...i made a big batch---double recipe of Audrey's Famous Baked Beans! haven't tried them yet, they are in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note or a comment. I will read each and every one!